The Learning/Access Center at Pratt Institute provides academic support for all students as well as accommodations and services for students with disabilities. We are seeking a compassionate and collaborative Access Coordinator to work as part of our dynamic and dedicated team. The ideal candidate will be an organized, detail-oriented, patient and flexible team player with demonstrated communication skills and commitment to inclusivity. The position will report to the Director of the Learning/Access Center.
The Access Coordinator will arrange and implement mobility and specialized sensory accommodation requests, including CART and interpreting services, alternate format requests for blind and low vision students; oversee and manage assistive technology; liaise with the registrar to manage accessible classroom placement; and maintain a caseload of advising students with an emphasis on students with physical and sensory disabilities. This work would include reviewing student documentation, determining accommodations, and serving as an advocate, advisor and support coach for students. One of our goals is to provide individual services and tools to facilitate diverse learning styles and accommodations in a sustainable inclusive manner. In this role, you would communicate with departments and faculty to determine ways to provide special accommodations as needed. Additionally, you would work closely with other offices, including health and counseling services, academic advising and HEOP.
If you are passionate about removing barriers for students so they can succeed, and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment where the team works together to address the challenges that can arise each day, we want to hear from you!
Key Essential Duties include the following:
- Arrange for and implement specialized accommodation requests related to access for mobility, vision and hearing; liaise with offices and faculty for implementation
- Manage assistive technology loans and instruction
- Assist the Director in addressing campus-wide accessibility issues
- Assist with the process of enrolling students at the L/AC, and act as L/AC advisor to enrolled students, providing support and finding solutions for accommodation needs including assisting students with communication with professors and providing advocacy through the interactive process with departments and professors to address accommodation requests
- Be available to meet with advisees in a walk-in capacity when students are experiencing academic crises and to accompany students as an advocate to meet with professors, departments, disciplinary/Title IX hearings and other unanticipated situations
- Provide weekly supportive counseling and coaching on compensatory strategies to students who have a range of disabilities including learning, psychological or physical, to address issues such as time management, planning, organization, interpersonal communications, academic strategies, self-advocacy, stress management and adjustment to the disability. Provide guidance to peer advisors and part-time learning specialists on how to work with students with different disabilities in cases where enrolled students in caseload are referred
- Educate the larger Pratt community on disability as an aspect of diversity and promote equal access for all
- Serve on Institute committees
To apply, please visit: https://apply.interfolio.com/91452
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, marital or domestic partnership status, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity or expression, age, disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.Pratt Institute recognizes and values the benefits of a diverse workforce.
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency