- Lecturer of Deaf Studies - ASL Interpreting
- Go to our website »
Lecturer of Deaf Studies - ASL Interpreting
Nevada State College (NSC) appreciates your interest in employment. To ensure your application process runs smoothly, we ask that you keep in mind the following when completing your application:
- The required documents are listed below on the posting. Your application may not be considered if you do not attach the required documents.
- Draft applications are saved automatically and can be accessed through your candidate home account. Completed applications must be submitted prior to the close of the recruitment. Once a recruitment has closed, applications will no longer be accepted.
- Please note, recruitment will close without notice when a hiring decision has been made.
If you need assistance or have questions regarding the application process, please contact the Human Resources department at (702) 992-2320 or email@example.com.
Nevada State College (NSC) is seeking a non-tenure track Lecturer of Deaf Studies - ASL Interpreting.
Unless stated otherwise, all positions are required Nevada residency and on-site work.
About Deaf Studies and ASL Interpreting at Nevada State:
The B.A. and Minor in Deaf Studies encompass a foundation in American Sign Language, Deaf culture, and diversity and inclusion within the Deaf Community. These degree pathways will allow you to serve the Deaf community in any field you choose, such as education, speech pathology, criminal justice, psychology, business, health care, and many more.
The Interpreting Minor develops students' ability to demonstrate an in-depth understanding of Deaf Culture and develops the foundation of Interpreting skills. Due to our rigorous curriculum and one-on-one mentorship of students in this program, students who add the Interpreting Minor to the Deaf Studies major will be prepared to take the EPIA or RID/NIC examinations immediately upon graduation.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement:
Nevada State, a four-year Minority Serving public institution with a statewide mission, is dedicated to excellence in teaching and learning and committed to the advancement of a diverse and largely under-served student population. Designated a Hispanic Serving (HSI) and Asian American Native American Pacific Islander Institution (AANAPI), NSC is a college where teaching and student support are valued above all else.
A majority of our students are first generation, racial/ethnic minorities, parents, and/or returning students, of which 45% are Hispanic, 14% are Asian/Pacific Islander, 9% are Black/African American, 24% are White, and 9% are multiracial.
We celebrate the storied backgrounds of our campus community. We operate with a shared commitment to represent and serve the diverse population of Nevada and to encourage the exchange of ideas that respects and honors the lived experiences of our students, staff, and faculty. We foster a culture of inclusive excellence so our members can live authentically, fully engage, and flourish. In order to strengthen the college and progress its mission, the college dedicates itself to intentional and ongoing reflection to meeting the evolving needs of NSC, the surrounding communities, and the State of Nevada.
We seek applicants who are passionate about working with this promising student population and collaborating with faculty and staff across departments to make a lasting impact in developing our institution and our community.
We encourage you to highlight your background in fostering an inclusive campus culture and supporting the success of students who are historically underrepresented in higher education.
- Teach 21 credits per academic year, with a single course release granted each academic year to maintain ASL Interpreting credentials. Should credentials lapse, then the teaching requirement will increase to 24 credits.
- Teach lower- and upper-level courses in Interpreting and ASL (as needed) in a variety of formats (e.g., in-person, hybrid, online).
- Serve on departmental and college-wide committees.
- Engage with the community to establish internships and mentor students within internship programs
- Bachelor's Degree
- Interpreting certifications, such as RID, NIC or EPIA, are current
- Minimum of 5 years experience interpreting within the Deaf community
- 2-3 years teaching experience for both interpreting and ASL courses at the college-level
- Eligibility to work in the United States without sponsorship (NSC does not sponsor employment-related visas).
Please note: Applicants must meet the posted minimum qualifications at the time of application in order to be considered for the position.
- A Master's Degree specifically in Education, Interpreting, Deaf Education, or Deaf Studies
- 7 or more years experience interpreting within the Deaf community
- More than 3 years teaching experience for both interpreting and ASL courses at the college-level
- Experience with ASL interpreting in multiple fields, such as medical, educational, legal, trilingual, etc.
Rank, Salary & Benefits:
9-month Lecturer, non-tenure track. Budgeted salary for this position is $53,000. Opportunities exist to apply for promotion to Senior and Distinguished Lecturer ranks after years of service. Nevada State College offers excellent benefits, including 15.50% retirement match, beginning balance of 30 sick leave days, 11 paid holidays, educational benefits, and three health insurance plans that can be supplemented with flexible spending accounts or health savings accounts.
This Posting is Open Until Filled
Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply immediately. Lists of eligible candidates will be established and hiring may occur early in the recruiting process. Recruitment will close without notice when a hiring decision has been made.
Special Instructions for Internal NSHE Applicants
NSC employees or employees within the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE, UNLV, UNR, NSC, CSN, TMCC, WNC, GBC, or DRI) MUST use the "Find Jobs" process within Workday to find and apply for jobs at NSC and other NSHE Institutions. Once you log into Workday, type "Find Jobs" in the search box which will navigate to the internal job posting site.
If you complete an application outside of the internal application process, your application will be returned and you will have to reapply as an internal applicant which may delay your application.
Please note, once you submit your application the only attachment(s) viewable to you will be the attachment(s) to the resume/CV section of the application. Any additional required attachment(s) to the cover letter, references, additional documents sections of the application, will not be viewable to you after you submit your application. All uploaded attachment(s) will be on the application for the committee to review. To request updates to attachments, prior to the committee review of applications, please contact the candidate helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please upload the following documents:
- Detailed CV or resume listing relevant qualifications and experience;
- Letter of interest indicating why you are a good fit for the position and Nevada State College;
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy;
- Names and contact information of three references, at least one of whom can speak to your teaching ability (you will be notified before references are contacted).
The search committee may ask for more materials at later stages in the application process.
Throughout your application materials, we encourage you to highlight your background in fostering an inclusive campus culture and supporting the success of students who are historically underrepresented in higher education.
Applications that do not include the required uploaded documents may not be considered.
Posting Close Date
Note to Applicant
Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience with specific reference to each of the minimum and preferred qualifications in their cover letter. The search committee will use this information during the initial review of application materials.
References will be contacted at the appropriate phase of the recruitment process.
This position may require a criminal background check to be conducted on the candidate(s) selected for hire.
As part of the hiring process, applicants for positions in the Nevada System of Higher Education may be required to demonstrate the ability to perform job-related tasks.
Nevada State College does not currently sponsor Visas, all applicants must be eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship.
Nevada State College
To apply, visit https://nshe.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/NSC-external/job/NSC---Henderson/Lecturer-of-Deaf-Studies---ASL-Interpreting_R0133335
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency